DIY: Boot Toppers/Legwarmers

I've been in love with the chunky socks peeking out of boots trend all winter. I was going to knit my own little boot toppers, but then I thought that sounded like a lot of work, when most of it would be hidden inside my boots. So I decided to cut off the sleeves of a sweater instead! How's that for easy?


I doubt I'm the first person to come up with this, but I'm sure everyone does theirs differently. Here's how I made them:

I took this great thrifted sweater, chosen because I liked the sleeve cuffs. I chose thick ribbed cuffs so that I could fold them over.



I cut off the sleeve at the shoulder seam, so I would be able to decide later how long to make them.


Next, I tried on one of the sleeves and marked with a pin where I wanted to cut. I cut mine at about the ankle, but you could make these as long or as short as you want.

Then I took off the sleeve and cut straight across where I had made the mark. I matched the other sleeve up and cut in the same place.


You could really stop here, since the cut edge is hidden inside your boots. I decided to do a quick zigzag stitch at the bottom though, just to make sure it doesn't unravel.


TaDa! The finished boot topper! I have more sweaters and I'm planning on making lots of these! The finished look is adorable!


Have you made anything yourself lately?? Any patterns or tutorials you would like to share?

Check out more great projects here:

giveaways

14 comments

  1. I love this idea! You are a genius!! I totally agree with how cute the leg warmers look peeking out of tops of tall boots. This is a unique DIY alternative to legwarmers. Thanks for sharing. Gotta tweet this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rachel and Diane! Diane, thanks for tweeting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG..this is a fabulous idea! I should hurry and make a pair before the next storm. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome!! i bought an old sweater to make into a pillow...after i pulled it out of the dryer i noticed the "pits" REEKED!! hahaha! Sooooo, if you buy a thrifted sweater, give the pits a good sniffin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe...this is really cute idea! I should tell my girls about it.
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK you are a genius! I have been wanting chunky socks for the top of these new boots I got, this is my answer..ya thanks!!! Thanks too for stopping by my blog and your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are GREAT! Since I cannot seem to finish knitting a pair of socks, I do believe that I need to use up some of my pretty yarn to make these for next winter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great idea! It has been so hot here the idea of wool is making me sweat... but I will have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to do something similar and make a pair of legwarmers with the sleeves of a thrifted fair isle pattern sweater. I love how yours look! Great job!
    By the time I get around doing it, it will be summer and way too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant idea. I am going to do this, my local Salv.Army and church thrift stores are selling sweaters for $1.00 or $0.75 now. I shld take advantage of that, shldnt I?

    Thanks for stopping by in my blog. I am reading all your archives. Fascinating!

    J.
    adimpleate.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete